Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Friday 30 April Le Roc St André to Pont Miny

Friday 30 April Le Roc St André to Pont Miny 63km

Said sad farewells to our great hosts at Le Roc St Andre and hit the road via the patisserie to pick up a baguette and a couple of pastries.
Our campground in Le Roc St Andre


This riding on the canal is pretty relaxing.  We had a couple of sections of rough stones to ride over but after a couple of km it was back to smooth sailing.  The next big(ish) town we were to hit was Redon and as it's going to be a long weekend here we needed to stock up on supplies and also try and buy a SIM card for our phone as the UK one has run out of money.





Got to Redon and we saw yacht masts over the tops of some buildings so I headed straight over.  We figured the river must open out to the sea not too far away.  The dilemma was a couple of the yachts were for sale.......a cunning plan still fermenting in my mind of sailing back to Australia.
Sailing or cycling?????

Back to reality we ate our lunch and then Sandy hit the supermarket.  I waited outside and must have looked dodgy because some rough woman asked if I was waiting or begging????  After I told her I was waiting she then asked me for money, ha, jokes on her "I'm unemployed and travelling" I told her.  She was happy to leave me be.

Once Sandy came out of the supermarket we found a phone shop and with phrase book in hand I walked in. As soon as I opened my mouth the bloke said "I speak English if you like" "Thank goodness" I replied as he then explained how expensive pre-paid Internet usage is in France.  No worries we will only use the phone connection for emergencies....like checking yacht prices in Greece :)

After I left the phone shop with my new French phone number we found the canal path and rode off.  By this time it was approaching 3pm and we saw a campground but there was no one around and the toilets were locked.  No problem, we rode on until we found this little spot.  It's just a clearing by the bank of the canal and there's even a toilet in the park back up the road a bit and excellent value because it's free.  The budget has been much better in France where England cost us a fortune (mostly on Ale and Pasties)

Our rough camp

No comments: