Monday, January 18, 2010

Slow tyres

Yesterday I swapped my Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (26x1.6) for Marathon XRs (26x2.0) and what a difference, it felt like I was towing a trailer.  The Supremes roll so well I think I lost 2kph on my 29km commute to work today.

The Marathon XR is/was the flagship expedition touring tyre form Schwalbe and is bloody heavy at 790g.  It rolls OK but acceleration is very very bad.  I do like the larger volume of the 2.0" tyre though, nice and cushy, I think I will go wth 2.0" Supremes when the 1.6"s wear out.

I will be using the XRs on the first stage or our trip from Perth to Busselton via the Munda Biddi Trail which will be mostly off road so I wanted a bit more tread.  I will be putting the Supremes back on as soon as we get to Busso :)

I might be bagging these tyres but if I was planning on riding across lots of dirt (or just crap) roads then these are what I'd use.

No comments: